Start date: May 1st 2020
End Date: August 31st 2020
The not-for-profit Hudson Food Collective operates the Hudson Heartbeet Community Farm as a diversified organic vegetable/teaching/demonstration farm in Hudson, Qc. The position of organic agriculture intern will provide experience for a full-time student over the summer (May to August) to acquire hands on skills in all aspects of organic small-scale farm operations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Field work: bed prep, seeding, transplanting, weeding, thinning, harvesting.
- Greenhouse & Hoophouses: seeding, transplanting, watering, thinning, weeding, harvesting.
- Post Harvest Handling: washing, sorting, cleaning, packing, labeling all crops, inventories, organizing.
- Distribution: Assisting with CSA drop-off.
- Participate in organic soil management activities including mulching, soil amendments and cover cropping. (We are working with a heavy clay and are putting into place multiple practices to improve our soil texture, structure and workability).
- Assist with organic certification processes and help maintain records.
- Assist with irrigation system set-up, upkeep and use.
- Help setting up the farm store, CSA drop-off (on farm) and special events at the farm.
- Act as resource & work with farm visitors/work-exchangers at the farm.
- Other duties as assigned
- Participate in outreach activities including farm event, educational activities on farm, workshops, etc.
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student for the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 school years (the year before the internship and the following year).
- We are looking for reliable, responsible and hardworking individuals who are able to follow directions and communicate well with others.
- Excellent people skills, initiative, and the ability to work well both independently and as a team are necessary.
- The physical ability to work daily with hands, wrists, knees and back, to walk much of the day, to stoop, kneel, lift and twist and to lift 30 pounds regularly are required.
- Interns should expect to work outside in all weather conditions.
- While previous farming experience is preferred, it is not required, however it is essential that candidates are committed to the farming lifestyle and all that it demands.
- Preference given to students in a related field (ie. agriculture, environment, agronomy, etc.)
- Bilingualism an asset.
This is a full time position, 40 hours per week, for 16 weeks @ $13/hr.
May 1st – August 31st, 2020.
2 weeks vacation (unpaid) can be scheduled during the summer.
The farm managers do not live on the farm, but have accommodation possibilities for the farm intern if need be.
HOW TO APPLY
Send your CV and one paragraph explaining your interest and relevant experience for the position to email@example.com .
DUE DATE TO APPLY
March 15, early applications are prioritized